XC70 2003 Sunroof leak?

Has anyone experienced a water leaking problem with the 2003 XC70 Sunroof. The car is still under warranty so I am sure the dealer will look at the problem. I am just trying to get an idea of whether the problem is common or unique.

Gunner

For the first time, mine leaked a little recently while at the car wash. I immediately checked and found that it was not fully closed. (My wife is the only one who opens it, so she had not closed it fully.)

Reply to
Sandyon66XYZ

The classic reason is clogged drain lines. They drain the gutter under the sunroof gasket, which is not designed to seal tightly to the roof.

Reply to
L David Matheny

Thank you

Unfortunately I have no one else that I can blame. I will check the drain lines.

Gunner

I've noticed that my 2001 S60 sunroof sounds like it 'opens' a bit once I hit 60 mph and then closes again once I drop below 50 mph. (There is literally a popping sound in both cases.) When 'open' it sounds like the roof is partially open. Is this what you are referring to with respect to 'not designed to seal tighly'? I know we're talking about a different model, but thought perhaps it might be a common design.

I've not brought it in to be looked at, just researching it at this point.

Thanks. Max

Reply to
Max Patin

I was referring to the fact that most sunroofs are not designed to form a watertight seal with the roof. They just fit tightly enough to shed most water, and whatever leaks in at the edges is drained by a gutter and drain lines that run down to the bottom of the car.

Maybe your sunroof has too much play (looseness) somewhere, allowing it to lift a bit at higher speeds and then drop back when you slow down. I have an 850, and it doesn't do anything like what you describe. I doubt that your S60 should, either.

Reply to
L David Matheny