XC70 MY05

Hello,

I'm looking for experienced XC70 drivers who know the difference between Geatronic and manual transmission. I've to decided which of the two will be on my new car. So, not specially for what is best, more looking for personal opinions. Links to reviews are also welcome. I'm familiair with swedespeed.com and brickboard.com.

Sincerely

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Geartronic is an Automatic transmission, with the opportunity to switch (or better "pre-select") gears, used by the AT. Sure that the AT does not accept a 5th speed while starting or the 1 at topspeed. Being in Geartronic-modus the AT still switches up and down, if the machine thinks that it is time for a change...

A manual ist a manual transmission, with a clutch, eg....

Reply to
Juergen Schrader

"Juergen Schrader" schreef in bericht news:ccc27t$nov$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.wdf.sap-ag.de...

Thanks for responding,

But , I know the difference regarding the 'technical' explanation. I'm looking for the experience of drivers with both the sytems in relation to the XC70. In the end I've to make up my mind about what I will choose. I drove with both transmissions already, but I'm curious what it's 'worth' in the long run, for I'm lacking the experience.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Geartronic-modus

Greetings:

The choice usually solved by personal preference; here are some observations if you are unfamiliar with automatics. The Volvo choices are no different than auto v. manual in any other car. In fact, the Volvo geartronic isn't much different than any other auto trans; they can all be manually shifted from 'drive' to lower gears. Auto leaves one hand free for a coffee (or tea). I have a '03 XC70 with auto. Sometimes I shift to the 'manual' mode while driving downhill, to allow engine braking while following traffic. I prefer manual transmission cars, but the price was right on this particular car. Auto is definitely more convenient in city traffic, since there is no clutch to continuously press when stopped or frequently changing gears, but the brakes are used more often. So as far as maintenance costs, perhaps one or two more brake jobs would offset the eventual cost of replacing a clutch assembly. If you aren't experienced with automatics, why not rent a car for a few days? It could be virtually any mid-size vehicle of any make / model. Drive the car in the typical traffic conditions that you will encounter daily with your proposed new Volvo. The Volvo automatic, in my experience, doesn't feel or operate substantially differently from other manufacturers. Ya pushes the gas and it goes. Ya pushes the brakes and it stops. ":,)

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown

Lane, it seems that you live in the NL. Right?

So, from my experience (BMW 530d Touring with AT and steptronic =geartronic) and a S60D5 manual) I can say:

- do what you like most. No one can help you.

I personally can say, that the AT at least adds one litre per 100km in consumption. The simple speed-up is not worse in AT than in manual. The manual switches gears much more often than you would do in the AT.

here in germany "bigger" cars more and more are ordered with AT. But calculated hard, they are not worth the money. Changing gears is not that difficult.... Exept one single point: driving a lot in heavy traffic and beeing in need to drink cofee while driving (in my personal opinion and no offense to anybody) drinking coffee while driving is one of the worst "un"-cultural things a society can do... And: if you tow a caravan/boat or trailer.

Please do several test-drivings and decide on your own. Here in germany a BMW 530d without AT is hard to resell, now.

Jürgen

Reply to
Juergen Schrader