XC70 Sloppy-ish Steering

Greetings,

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 XC70 with 48k. Everything on it is in great shape. While test driving the little gem (the car was warmed up, dry pavement, 60 degrees, and new tires), when I took it into a few 30mph corners at about 35-40 , the steering seemed a little sloppy. It's difficult to describe, but as I would enter the turn, the vehicle would start to turn, but further into the turn, it seemed to slip for a moment. It was subtle, but I could notice it. Another way to describe it would be as if the steering was on a cog and chain, and the chain slipped a tooth. Speaking to a mechanic, he suggested it could be something as simple as low steering fluid (which he then commented would be odd in such a new vehicle). I have never driven an AWD vehicle before, so I don't know if this is normal.

Any suggestions/comments anyone could offer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
wsjiber

I've driven a 2003 XC70 several times. In comparison with my V70 with

234 45 17 tires is does feel looose, or at least less precise. Indeed the owner of that car says he notices the difference while driving my car.

I attribute the vague sensation to a combination of things: The tires are almost plush riding with generous sidewalls, the car sits several inches higher, the seats seem a bit softer.

Reply to
Roadie