XC90 Turbo

I am the pleased owner or a XC90 T5. Love the car, but feel it could do with just a little more power. I am told that the turbo is set low and in fact is running at only 30% of it's potential.

If that's the case, I would like to know if anyone has increased the turbo output and if so what difference it made. I am aware that doing this may void warrantee on the turbo, so I may wait a while before I do it.

Any comments appreciated, thanks in advance.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Rayner

Go to

and you can purchase a powerchip for your car to increase its power and torque. This is the Australian website, but the international website for your country can easily be found here as well.

Reply to
Peter Gottschald

Cheers Peter! I'm actually in Sydney so I'll check it out.

Other ideas from anywhere are still MOST welcome!

Reply to
Mark Rayner

Do you mean the XC90 2.5T or the T6? I don't see a T5 listed on the Australian Volvo website.

If I'm not mistaken altering pretty much anything on your car may void the warranty for the entire vehicle not just the turbo. If you increase the turbo boost you are not only stressing the turbo more you are also putting more strain on the engine block, pistons, valves, intake system, ignition system, etc...

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B

Jordan,

No it's the T5 (2.5l 5 cyl turbo) not the T6.

I am getting some advice from a mechanic who I think is going to suggest the installation of one of those performance chips and a "tweak" of the turbo.

I appreciate the warrantee issues and will consult with Volvo Australia before I do anything.

In regards to increasing the turbo boost, I would only take it up a few notches and not to the point on stressing the motor, that's the last thing I want to do. However, my initial advice is that Volvo have not held back full potential of this motor and the turbo (maybe for the next model) and I am looking to tap into some of that.

I notice that in overtaking maneuvers, the T5 can be a little short on speed which is a little unsafe. That's why I am looking for another 10-15% improvement in power. Basically that will take it up to T6 specs.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Rayner

Reply to