Xenons for '99 S80

I just changed my left headlight bulb and I noticed the whole (reflector) assembly is loose. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed to be changed, and that they they have to order the parts.

Since I imagine that will cost a bundle, I am thinking, why not see if the lights can be converted to xenons (or bi-xenons). Wife has a Lexus with bi-xenons and there is a big improvement with night visibility. So, does anybody know a good third-party bi-xenons for this model? Or, are the 2005 S80 xenons installable on this model year?

Reply to
ixat

If it's like the assemblies in my '98 V70, the reflector part can come disconnected from the aiming mechanism inside the housing. It's quite simple to snap the reflector back on, and restore full functionality.

Reply to
Mike F

The Xenon lamps you are referring to should be referred to as HID (High Intensity Discharge). You can get Xenon gas filled "filament" type lamps.

I've never seen a Bi-Xenon setup (that would mean the unit has a HID for low beam and another for high beam). Typically, a HID lamps gets to 80% brightness within 10 seconds, and the remaining 20 ramps up from there.

These are VERY expensive.

I bet if you bought a set of new ones, they'd be at least $1800 for the pair USD. At least!! It involves lamps, and ballasts, which are the most expensive components of the system. If it is a Bi-Xenon HID like you mention, then it is going to have 4 ballasts, which is even more expensive.

The car came with Halogens. Keep them Halogen. You can buy Sylvania Silverstars that give the HID "look". These lamps are ok, there are some compromises to achieve this blue look.

It's also not lawful to install HID fixtures on a car that was not originally equipped with such at the time of purchase, no matter if it was available as an option (like BMWs) in Canada. Sure, no one might bother you, but if you are involved in an accident and the glare off your poorly installed HIDs cause an accident, they'll investigate, and try to get out of paying the claim. That simple.

Just replace the fixture. (by the way, the HID lamps fit into special reflectors, not the regular ones, but I'm sure you already know that).

Reply to
M.R.S.