ZDDP in API oils used in PRV engines

Y'all,

A post in another car forum warned of a shortcoming API rated oils may have regarding cam wear. The question relates to lubricating oils with reduced zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP) in engines.

Since the most sensitive engine I know is the pre-88 PRV engine, I was looking for the group's input on that.

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

If I had one, I would only run a quality full synthetic in it, it's not worth taking chances.

Reply to
James Sweet

The link purports to warn us the current API oils (mineral or synthetic) lack enough ZDDP to protect flat tappets. I haven't heard of problems but figured PRV owners would be up on the status of the oil they use.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

There is much talk about this in old car circles these days. Perhaps the most reasonable advice I have seen is to use the dual rated diesel/gasoline fleet oils such as Shell Rotella (or Rotella T Synthetic), Chevron Delo and the like. These are readily available in

15W-40, which is a good summertime oil in many older applications and can also be found in 10W-30.
Reply to
John Horner

Thanks, John. That does sound reasonable.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

ZDDP isn't the only antiwear agent that is effective...it is just the cheapest. It is also an effective antioxidant. There are substitutes, including Molybdenum Trialkyldithiocarbamate, but they cost more.

A dual diesel/gasoline rated engine oil, either 15W-40, 10W-30, or synthetic 5W-40 is a cheap, easy, effective alternative for these older engines. Modern engines have no problem with modern oil. For a modern gasoline engine, the dual-rated CJ-4/SM diesel engine oils will work very well due to the lower level of ash producing metallic detergents in the oil.

Ken

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
K. Shelton