'00 Passat - Options on In-Dash CD?

My wife what (me) to put a CD player in her '00 Passat. Standard radio/top - nonMonsoon. She does NOT want a changer in the trunck. She access to a single CD from the dash.

What are my factory options? Is there a factory replacement radio/CD? Single CD player add-on for the dash? or aftermarket.

I want it to look like the original dash (basic black with deep blue letters)

Thanks Chip Long, South Carolina

Reply to
Chip L

check out blaupunkt on

or your local dealer.

I think the blaupunkt looks most similar to VW stock.

Reply to
Mike

The way I see it, you have a few options here...

I'm not sure if the dash of the 2000 Passat will hold 2 DIN sized units. If it does, then VW does offer a indash single CD player that plugs right into the factory radio.

There is also a 6disc CD changer that is single DIN size that will wire right up to your stock VW radio, same size as the single CD player, but it has a different plug on the end of it, one would need to change the physical plug fitting and from there it would plug right into the factory radio.

Now if your Passat dash won't hold 2 single DIN, then one can do a swap of a newer center dash section and then mount up the indash CD player or changer. I've seen this done once at work, the end results were flawless.

Last option is to get an aftermarket unit and put it in place of the factory radio. The one big problem I have with current aftermarket radios is they look stupid, like old men who wear black socks pulled up to the knees when wearing shorts. I guess it is too much to ask for a nice fitting, simple layout aftermarket radio.

Oh yeah, if you do with an aftermarket unit, on the the factory wiring harness, the black plug, pin #3, remove it or cut it so the aftermarket radio is not hooked up to it. Details why here:

Pencilneck blah blah blah

Custom VW gauge overlays

86 (soon to be 2.0L turbo) Jetta 86 VR6 Quaifed/Schricked/Garrett'd Jetta 87 stock $600 dog hauler Jetta

ANTI SPAM - REMOVE THE "Z"

Reply to
Pencilneck

VW sells a single CD player that fits into the dash.

BTW, you have can both the single in-dash CD and a changer in the trunk. I've got a changer in the back of my wagon, but have considered adding the single CD to make it easy to play a new CD while traveling.

Reply to
TL

Thx. I picked this up last night. Looks like what you're talking about.

Chip

Reply to
Chip L