00' Passat rattle from rear on drivers side

Problem. Lately can hear a metallic rattling noise coming from the rear on the drivers side when I drive over rough spots in the road.

I removed that jack and tool kit from the trunk as I thought that could be what was rattling, but it didn't stop.

Underneath on the creeper, I didn't see anything obvious either.

Any ideas would be appreciated greatly.

TIA

Reply to
Andrew Eckhardt

Hi, A long shot as I don't know the routing of the exhaust system in your '00 Passat. On my '90 Golf, (but not the '85), the exhaust pipe can hit the axle cross member. I replace the rubber hanger for the exhaust pipe and things are good for maybe a year, then the rubber eventually stretches and the pipe can hit the cross member on bumps.

Another long shot, do you disk brakes on the rear? Loose brake pads or in-effective ant-rattle springs, allowing the pads to rattle on bumps?

-Tony

Andrew Eckhardt wrote:

Reply to
tonyw