01 GTI groaning noise while steering

The car makes a horrible groaning noise while I am turning the steering wheel and stops with the wheel in "home" position. Its especially bad when the car is cold. I realize its probably part of the steering mechanism (perhaps the power steering pump or something). Any thoughts anyone?

thanks

Reply to
YYZedd

Power steering pump.

The pump goes now; and if it's the result of water in the oil, expect the rack to go later.

-Don

Reply to
Don Mac Phee