01 Jetta (A4) electrical problems???

I've always been a VW fan, I've had a Rabbit, two Jettas and a Golf. I now have an 01 Jetta, but lately I've been feeling quite disappointed.

I have an intermittent problem with the driver turn sginal will stay lit after unlocking the doors. It stays lit while driving and when I attempt to flash left it will not flash it just stays constantly on. In fact even when I turn the engine off and remove the key it is still lit. I can only get it to turn off by playing with the lock and unlock button of the remote until by chance it will turn off. I've had the dealer look at it several times but they can't seem to find anything, because it is intermittent and whenever I bring it in it seems to work. I made them changed the hazzard relay but that didn't help. Anyone experiencing this or have any suggestions?

Lately I've had another electrical problem, after unlocking the doors and turning the key to the "accessories" position (where all the lights on the instrument cluster turn on), well none of the lights turn on??? If I continue to attempt to start the car it will not start of course. I have to remove the key and play with the lock and unlock buttons of the remote and then it will work. Again this problem is intermittent. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Perry

Reply to
Perry

Just a thought, but maybe the ignition switch itself? I've heard of stranger electrical problems trace back to bad switches since all kinds of electrical stuff goes through those.

My wife's old Mazda 323 ('87) had this problem where the radiation fan wouldn't come on and the engine temp would go up; first few times it happened we pulled off the road, stopped the car, let it cool down, restarted and everything was fine. We got in the habit of just restarting the car when it would happen. Then one day, we noticed that the wipers didn't work sometimes and again, if we turned the car off and restarted, they worked. Furthermore, the two events were synced, so one time when the temp started going up (and the wipers didn't work), I just wiggled the key a little without turning the car off -- problem solved! Got the switched changed and it never happened again.

I may be completely wrong and it may have nothing to do with the switch, as new cars have so much more computer controlled stuff.

James Orlando, FL

Reply to
Jaime

have been on this site before with my problems 88 Fox for over a year I had trouble to start it .some mechanic screwed it up and could not fix it.finally an old friend of mine looked at it and found a crack in the distrubitor cap. placed new one and it starts like a charme. My qeustion is i figured the problem was in all the electronic gismos on the engine. My Clinton book shows a wire terminal15A on the solenoid going to the thermo switch can any one explain the function of this wire I never seen this wire before on my old V.W. beetles. what is the function ? does current go to thermo switch or the other way. can find no answer in de clinton book. Thanks Moony

Reply to
Lambert Moonen