02 Golf 5DR - Rear Onside Door

The rear doors on my Golf are hardly ever used but when attempting to close it the other day it failed to shut. It would close normally until about 1" remained. It would feel almost like I had trapped the seatbelt in the door. No obstruction was visible and after gentle manipulation on the handle (particularly upwards ) during this last inch it is possible to close every time.

It doesn't look like the door has dropped - Certainly a problem I've had in the past on some very old 3 door cars.

What could be wrong?

Could the striker plate have moved or something - As far as I can see it is secure and the catch mechanism 'appears' to locate normally. Can anything else be adjusted?

Cheers

Brian

Reply to
Ash Hampson

Hi, Yes, it's possible the striker pin has moved. However, a more ominous explanation might be a damaged car body? Has the car been in any accidents or had any trauma?

I'd check for serious body/frame damage or rust to rule that out first. If you're sure the integrity of the body is sound, then try check the dust marks around the striker plate on the door jamb. Any evidence the pin has moved? And the door hinge bolts are secure (a long shot)? In any case try adjusting the striker pin on the door jamb. Loosen the bolts slightly then move the pin down slightly and retighten. It'll be trial and error to get it right. See if that helps.If it does then afterwards keep an eye on any change to that rear door for signs of anything potentially more serious happening.

Reply to
tonyw

Is there some sort of 'child safety' mechanism, to stop young children opening the door from inside ? The small lever may have been accidentally moved. Todd

Reply to
Tod