02 Passat 1.8t water in engine during heavy rain

Have any ideas for me? Recently during heavy rains my '02 Passat 1.8T gets water in the crank case. When I start the car it produces a lot of steam from the exhaust and will not run properly. This is the second time in the last 3 months that this has happened. The first time the dealer mechanics suggested vandalism that someone intentionally put water in the engine. They changed the oil twice to get out the excess liquid and sent me on my way.

The car has been parked at a 15 degree angle, nose up, in my driveway during heavy rain events when this happens.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how the water is getting in to the crank case it might save me a ton of time with the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
burchett.scott

2 thourghts/comments

1, do u smell oil while driving? this wud indicate a cover, like the oil cap missing.

2, head gasket, nothing to do with rain.
Reply to
Neil - Usenet

sounds like water drains in cowl are plugged up. As water rises it then gets sucked in via the vacuum brake booster... and then into intake system. Ask dealer to check for recalls. May get the P9 recall if in the USA!

Reply to
news.wildblue.net

There are two passat groups on yahoo with some active members. They may help provide you with some answers. ;-)

It is a little hard for me to imagine how that water is getting into that engine. Is the oil dipstick guide in good shape?

Does the water get in only when the vehicle is parked in that same location?

Have you cleaned out the drains in the tray under the windshield? Also check the air filter housing for excessive leaves/debris that might cause its drain to get clogged. That might cause your problem but the water would have to fill up the air filter housing then enter the intake manifold boot, into the intake & engine-past the valves and piston rings into the crankcase. I would have thought it should have caused some hydro-lock and it would have to be a LOT of water!

Can't you park it downhill or get a car cover temporarily? ;-)

I am curious about what you find! good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The only time I ever "flooded" an engine was after or while I was driving through a deep puddle. Maybe a foot deep. The fresh air intake for the Rabbit was under water so it sucked up a lot of water into the cylinders. I removed the spark plugs and water sprayed out of the cylinders as I ran the starter. I do not recall if I checked the dipstick for water in the crankcase. In any event I sprayed about

100psi from the air compressor in to each cylinder, replaced the spark plugs, started the car and tried not to drive in really deep puddles again.

I am with the others that you need to check for clogged drains in the cowl and the air intake. But in my case some water in the intake pretty much just stayed in the intake, cylinders and out the exhaust. Not much migration in the crankcase that I recall. That much water also messes up an air filter. You should inspect your air filter for clues and damage.

Are you sure you have dry gas in the tank?

If you do not have water bans can you turn >There are two passat groups on yahoo with some active members. They may

Reply to
Jim Behning

How do you know it is getting into the crank case?

Cold it be coming from the exhaust system?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

and the winner is...

sounds like water drains in cowl are plugged up. As water rises it then gets sucked in via the vacuum brake booster... and then into intake system. Ask dealer to check for recalls. May get the P9 recall if in the USA!

Reply to
burchett.scott

OK.. now I'm ready to collect my winnings! What did I win????

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I would guess that Lost In Space wins the......................

V.ery W.ise Trophy!

VW VW VW VW 0 0 VW VW > VW VW O VW VW VW VW

BTW I try to clean out all of these drains when I see debris, and I look often!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1