'02 passat rear brake help

Hi,

I have a gls wagon. After removing the caliper, I tried turning the piston clockwise. After many turns with no results, I turned the piston about a revolution counterclockwise. This, unfortunately, pushed the piston out quite a bit more than where I started at. I then learned about the tool that applies pressure as it turns, so I went to a nearby Auto Zone and rented one. The problem now, is that I don't have enough clearance inside the caliper to position the tool. Any tips or advice? Should the bleeder valve be opened to relieve pressure and allow the piston to travel back into the caliper?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
tom misiak

I had a similar issue with my wife's '03 4-Motion Wagon. The pads on one side had worn almost completely through to the backing plate and there was just slightly less room than was required by the compression tool. I had to work the piston in manually a little bit by alternately squeezing and turning the piston using a c-clamp and a set of vise grips. I did not have to open the bleeder valve but you might find that doing so makes it a little easier to get the piston to retract. Once you have enough room for the tool, you just won't believe how easily the piston retracts.

- Charlie

04 Audi S4 03 Passat 4-Motion Wagon
Reply to
Charlie Giannetto