02 Sensor Wires CIS-E.....

Puzzled by this one, folks. My S2 16v with CIS-E injection has 02 sensor, but unfortunately all 3 wires are gone. Looked on the firewall and all places underneath- nothing - just a sensor with all 3 wires yanked out. If you trace each of the 3 wires back, where do they each come from ?? ECU and thermotime switch?? Is there a small harness in the engine compartment where they all meet and then continue down to the exhaust??? I'd like to find whatever remains of the harness...... Stumped and anxious to drive.....appreciate any possible advice...

Will 1988 Scirocco 16v

Reply to
Willie78

At least one should go to the ecu. The other two could be the heater (white wires) which is usally connected to the fuel pump relay.

SFC

"Willie78" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

It's kind of hard to describe this, but there should be 1 black wire and two white wires coming off the oxygen sensor. The two white wires go to a single connector (similar to the connector on the differential pressure regulator on the fuel distributor) which is eventually connected to the fuel pump fuse (or perhaps the fuel pump relay they are in series, not sure which goes in front). The black wire goes to the KE-Jetronic wiring harness. The connector is similar in style to that of the of the oil pressure switches. It's a single flat blade which goes into a wrap-around metal socket. It's protected by a rubber boot, perhaps 2 cm in diameter and 2 cm tall. Both connectors should be near the middle of the firewall behind the exhaust manifold.

The consequences of running without the O2 sensor are not neccessarily disasterous, contrary to what a lot of people believe, I do not think KE-Jet has a "limp home mode", it will simply run with the standard amount of enrichment (which I think on 16Vs is 6mA) all the time. If your fuel distributor is properly tuned you shouldn't notice a significant difference, and it shouldn't cause you to fail emissions. On the other hand, the tuning will change with the weather, so without an O2 sensor you may be running rich in the summer, and lean in the winter.

Also, if the white wires were to accidentily short, you would blow your fuel pump fuse and render the car undrivable. If the sensor wire were to short into something its conceivable, although unlikely you could damage the KE-Jet unit, if it gets shorted to ground you will run overly rich all the time.

good luck...

Reply to
notme

Now THAT'S the kind of answer I was hoping for. Tells me more than the Bentley. Yeah, the car runs quite well and no problems with hot starts or anything, so I figured I'd be running either a little rich or a little lean. I'm a stickler though, and wanted to get this squared away b4 it becomes the daily driver. I'm just hoping to find some wires on the firewall...... Thanks much

Reply to
Willie78