'03 GLI - how to disable ESP, ABS & HBA?

Well, I officially dislike the brakes on my '03 GLI. My '02 1.8T Jetta stops unbelievably well with VERY grippy brakes. The GLI? Not so good. I'm going to change to better braking compound for the front brakes, but I need to know about the following...

If one so decided, which fuses/relays can be pulled to disable:

1) the ESP? - using the switch works but I'm told it still activates during braking, even after you've turned the ESP off with the switch.

2) the ABS?

3) the HBA or "Hydraulic Brake Assist" - this thing drives me INSANE and has got to go if *at all* possible.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thank you, TOE

Reply to
TOE

Is your GLI a 2.0l? If so I think the brakes are different then the 1.8t. About 99% sure the rotors are smaller... so call the dealer and have them check part numbers on the rotors. As for turning it off, no there's no easy way as they are all integrated together. Personally I feel the brakes are find with the added ESP, etc.

Reply to
Woodchuck

GLIs are VR6 24V cars. They probalby have the same brakes as the 1.8T.

Reply to
Matt B.

The GLI is the 24V VR6 engine, but it stops SIGNIFICANTLY different than my 1.8T Jetta. I'm having the compound of the brake pads checked against the 1.8T, but I feel the problem might be deeper. My biggest gripe is with the Hydraulic Brake Assist, which actually puts the brakes on harder for you if it doesn't feel that you're stopping fast enough! Wow...

Thanks, TOE

Reply to
TOE