03 Jetta TDI fuel additive question

I am about to buy a 2003 Jetta GLS TDI. I was looking around on the internet for the least expensive place to buy the diesel additive "Stanadyne Performance Formula".

This is a link to the least expensive I could find.

Buying the case of pints seems do-able but was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper outlet?

Thank you,

Numan

Reply to
Numan

I can tell you now I'm not one to use additives which make claims to good to be true. Remember products like that are designed for one reason which is to transfer money from your pockets to theirs. Especially with claims such as "up to 40degrees" or "up to 5 points"... the words to question are "up to"! That said read the VW manual and see what it says about additives during the cold winter months. Not sure how it is in your part of the country but the diesel fuel around here is treated from the pumps.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Most of the additives also contain lubricants for the very expensive injection pump ... worth a few bucks to me for piece of mind. My additive of choice is Power Service in the silver bottle.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Do you know if any TDI's were brought in "frozen" that DID use additives? I live in St. Louis, Mo and am brand new to diesel. I just want to be safe, not sorry.

Thanks! You and Pencilneck are great helps.

Reply to
Numan

I have heard of Power Service from a friend who has a huge diesel pick-up truck. Is it better than the Stanadyne? Have there been any comparisons anywhere?

Thanks

Reply to
Numan

"Numan" wrote in news:xEetb.746$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

I've had my TDI for a little over 3 years in Dayton, OH, and never had a problem with fuel gelling. That said, the Power Service and Stanadyne additives are both pretty reputable. If you're concerned about gelling, I'd use the Power Service white bottle over the silver (the silver bottle doesn't contain anti-gel additives).

Reply to
Dan Brown

Thank you for the info. Now they do sell that at Wal-mart don't they?

Numan

Reply to
Numan

I appears you want it to provide an anti-gel function. I suggest that you make sure the bottle you buy indicates that as not all diesel additives have an anti-gel feature.

That said, if you buy from good dealers who have a good volume sales you really don't need it. However it should not hurt either.

I suggest rather than hunting all over the internet, just stop at a real truck stop in the north this time if year, and head into the truck area and buy there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Numan" wrote in news:7ugtb.904$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Yep, at least around here.

Reply to
Dan Brown

VW specifically recommends stanadyne. However, Power Service is also used and recommended by many drivers and is cheaper. I've used both for about 2 years. Mainly for lubrication and when traveling to really cold areas (I live in Nevada.)

I have bought stanadyne locally at places that work on diesel engines or stock parts. Took some locating. Power Service is available at Wal-Mart. Many truck stops also sell a variety of other diesel fuel additives.

If you want more information than you can handle, go to tdiclub.com and search on additives. It's a great place to learn about the TDI. I've had my TDI about 2 years and love it - my first diesel.

JEB

Reply to
JEB

Thank you.

Reply to
Numan

All I can tell you is that in 15 years of diesel VW driving, I have never once had a fuel gelling problem, and I'm in Wisconsin. I use Power Service in the white bottle, but the main thing is to buy your fuel at a truck stop that does a lot of volume. Their fuel will be blended for the appropriate time of the season, which around here means 70/30 in the late fall and early spring, and 60/40 in the dead of winter. It's always nice to get that 100% No. 2 back in the tank in the spring.

Reply to
Brian Running