'03 Jetta won't shift out of park in cold temps!

I have a 2003 VW Jetta and when the temperature drops below a certain point my car will not start or when it does start it will not shift out of park! After the temperature outside rises, the car will shift fine. It is very weird and VW dealer in town cannot figure out the problem! HELP ME

-Yes I always have plenty of gas in the car

-Yes I am pushing the break in!

-Yes I turn the air conditioner/heater and radio all off before turning the car off

Reply to
JodiC

When the car does not start, does it crank but not catch, or does it not even crank? If it does not even crank, do you hear clicking from the starter solenoid?

About how cold does it have to get before you start gett>

Reply to
Randolph
1- ignition switch 2-brake pedal switch sticking or solenoid in console sticking.

The next time you can't get out of park have someone look to see if the brake lights are on. If they are it's in the console.

Reply to
Woodchuck

there's also a recall out there for Jetta brake lamp switches. Not sure if it was fixed by the time the '03s came about but on my co-worker's 02 it sure wasn't and his brake lights didn't work and the cause was the recalled switch. he could still drive around though because he had a manual transmission and wasn't subjected to any sort of shift lock.

Reply to
Matt B.

Just keep calling VW roadside assistance. After they have to pay for it to be towed a few times, they'll get it fixed right.

Reply to
William Maslin