'03 Passat rough idle, poor mileage (1.8T, Tip)

'03 passat (with Tiptronic) with 2K miles is getting 25 mpg highway without AC on. Further the idle seems to be rough as hell. At idle the Tach is stable, however you can feel a fairly large vibration.

The car was newly purchased early this year.

Any comments. What are you guys getting?

Thx, gerald

Reply to
gerald

Well since the Passat is rated from 25 to 31, depending on engine and model, and you did not note what model you have, you may be right there.

I might also note that at 2K it is not totally broken in yet so it is hard to say if it may improve. Most of my cars improve to about 50,000 miles where they level off.

Your driving style makes a great difference in the mileage.

So I don't think we can make much of the mileage.

As for the roughness, I have not noticed any current VW being rough.

The real answer to your question however is at the dealer. You have a warrantee, and they take car of things like low mileage and rough engines for free, and they are the experts. At least the should be.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

snipped-for-privacy@avlna.com (gerald) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You must drive even less than I do :-)

My '02 Passat wagon, same engine and transmission, got about 35MPG when doing 75MPH across the flatlands of midAmerica two summers ago, hauling 3 adults and a lot of luggage; 30+ MPG on the Interstates "around town" is what I usually see. I see 22MPG combined when the temperature is above 0F.

The rough idle is definitely wrong and means something bad is going on inside. A trip to your dealer is certainly in order.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Under same conditions (even same metro area) my '99 Passat manual gets 27 mpg combined (or interstate at high speeds (80-100 mph)) and 31 at normal interstate driving. I'm using 91 octane, would that make a difference?

Reply to
Baudolino

Since that car is available in at least three different engine configurations, manual or auto there could be big differences from one configuration to another. It would be helpful if all these real life numbers, which are useful, would include the engine as well.

Your inclusion of the octane is also important as an engine that is designed for higher octane and used with lower can loose a lot of mileage as well as power.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Joseph Meehan) wrote in news:btYzb.4699$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

The engine the original poster and I have is the 1.8T, as in the Subject line.

I ->think that the 1.8T in the 2001.5 and later Passat is different from any other 1.8 (T or not) from earlier years or in other VW models. The manual "requires" 91+ octane (RON) for that engine.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I could be dangerous if I could read.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

They fixed that nit-pick in 2004. Time to upgrade...

Reply to
Peter Parker