04' New Beetle Alarm

Wondering if anyone has had this problem. When I lock the door with the remote on my 04 Beetle Conv. the parking lights blink like normal but the horn no longer s beeps. This was working fine then just stopped. The regular horn and alarm works fine it just don't beep when we lock it.

This is my 1st VW since my 87 Golf so I don't have any clues on where to start.

Thanks

Reply to
John Q Public
2 questions:
  1. Does the alarm chirp when you lock the doors with the key?
  2. How do you know that the alarm does work?

Maybe there is a setting that changed in the alarm module that turned off the chirp. I was going to say that a sensor was not functioning but since you say the alarm works............that theory doesn't work.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1
  1. No chip at all but lights flash
  2. I lock the door with windows down and open from inside.. It goes off.

No clue where or how to control the alarm mod. I thought may I held the alarm button to long or something. I trired to undo! lol NO LUCK!

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
John Q Public

usually means one of the alarm switches isn't working. Try locking everything up and open the right door, hood, rear hatch one at a time. All should set the alarm off. The radio even has a alarm switch located within to protect if radio is pulled out. Post your results.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Woodchuck- A related question. My A3 jetta used to be able to open the trunk with the key while the alarm was on. This would stop the blinking on the driver door I believe and once the trunk was closed, it would blink again. Maybe the trunk switch is not engaging. Now this car got hit in the rear and a VW dealer replaced the trunk in their body shop. Ever since then, the trunk can't be opened with the alarm on or the alarm will go off. Not hooked up correctly or a partially failed lock?

Reply to
Peter Parker

There is a microswitch on the key cylinder for the trunk. It is to "tell" the alarm to ignore the trunk opening.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Okay. I now unlock the door and then open the trunk. I'll wait till next year when it gets warm again to look at it some more.

Happy Turkey day!

Reply to
Peter Parker

"when it gets warm again".... where do you live, the north pole? Here in PA it's not that cold yet.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

It is nippy here in Chicago today and feels like 23 degrees F but I don't think it is cold enough not to replace that switch in the trunk to get the alarm working properly. :-) But I guess if the only glitch is to unlock the doors to disarm the alarm...........I could do that. ;-) Some insurance companies will guarantee repairs for life so maybe that latch can be repaired/replaced for free. I think you mentioned this vehicle was in a rear end accident.

Happy Turkey Day to all!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lost In Space/Woodchuck"

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for all your input. My issue was caused by the factory radio not seein pushed all the way in. About 2 months ago I stopped up Cur City to have them use their tool to remove the radio. I left it pushed in but not "clicked" in. I was trying to locate a radio reception problem I have, but I'll post that seperatley.

Thanks To All

Lost > usually means one of the alarm switches isn't working. Try locking

Reply to
John Q Public

Okay, I will rephrase the answer. It's low priority and the clutch/tranny needs to be repaired first. Yesterday was really nice but that day was assigned to yard work. Today is also assigned to yard work.

I didn't know that about that guarantee. Sounds good. I will have to find out more about this.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Oh!! That's a classic!!! The best tool in a troubleshooters tool box is his brain. If something happened, changed or touched in the past. That's most likely where the problem will be.

Reply to
Peter Parker

LOL, your right. Weird thing is it didn't happen right away. It was weeks later so it must have been in enough to start. Lesson learned. Oh for the record I don't think the hood is part of the alarm system. Mine didn't sound when the hood was opened.

Reply to
John Q Public

Hmmm, IIRC there is a switch on my A3 that is depressed when the hood is down. If the alarm is on and the hood goes up it will sound off. It's a little hard to do unless you are breaking into the hood. Another way to test it is to have that switch depressed manually lock the car and have the alarm engaged. Release the switch and the alarm should sound off.

Reply to
Peter Parker