1.7l engine question

I have an 84 jetta gas 1.7l w/ 156k it's been sitting almost a year now. It began making a tapping noise at anything above 1500rpm which gets faster w/rpm. I went searching for the sound and I believe it is from within the engine. I could not hear it with stethescope on head(cylinder) or where cyl's are(but that could be b/c of the water jacket?). I hear it loudest w/ ear against oil pan. I did a wet/dry and here are the results:

dry wet

1 200 210 2 180 200 3 183 205 4 200 210

I also took off the oil pan and plastigauged all bearings(all in spec.)

Could this be broken rings? I am not burning any oil however. I recently changed the Head gasket. and also rec. adjusted valve shims.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Reply to
Jerritt

If it is not a hydraulic lifter then it could be a piston wrist pin bushing bad. I think that is the name of the connecting rod bushing that supports the piston pin. I think that there are some ways to determine what could be making the noise by how you run the engine and when you hear the noise. I bought my 83 Audi 4000S with that type of noise. I didn't even research it since I had an 83 GTi engine laying around. Annoying noise but that engine make last for many more years if it is that bushing.

Oh and it could also be piston slap or something inside of the combustion area! :-(

later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

is the tapping all the time above 1500 or only under load?

VW hydraulic valves are known for being noisy with age. If it's all the time, it's probably the valves.

If it's under load only, you have a loose exhaust manifold and the gasket for that cylinder is flapping around,

Reply to
Matt B.

Are the cyl. pressures normal? w/ the middle two much lower than the others?

Reply to
Jerritt