1.8 Passat

I've been considering an '02 Passat-- I can afford the 1.8 models and there are both a manual and an automatic available in my area for reasonable prices. I've driven both auto and manual and in either case, the 170hp engine is an improvement over the 150 hp engine of the earlier passats, audi, etc. My question is, for those of you with the 1.8 '02 and newer, are you satisfied with the power/acceleration? Does the 5 speed add anything to the quickness/perception of quickness? I realize everyone is different but wanted to get some opinions.... I felt I really didn't need more horsepower but wondered if I'd long for more "juice" later. I currently have an '02 Jetta 1.8 auto but need more room. Thanks, Pete

Reply to
pbeyer

I have a '99 1.8T Passat and after a chip upgrade, my longings for more "juice" have been satisfied. The 1.8T is an extremely over-engineered engine and is ridiculously easy to upgrade inexpensively. Check out all the chip upgrade options on the 1.8 technical forum over at vwvortex.com. Definitely, a 5-speed will help with performance, but the new Tips are less slushy than they used to be and you can upgrade those as well. Personally, I'd buy the

1.8T over the V6 again in a heartbeat.

Reply to
rob

Also, check out

for Passat-specific info..

Reply to
rob

snipped-for-privacy@2492kumc.edu (pbeyer) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@2492kumc.edu:

I have an '02 Passat 1.8T wagon and find the engine more than adequate for my needs, which included a trip to California and back last summer with 3 adults and all their gear, AC on all the time.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I went from an 81 Mazda RX-7 to a 03 Passat wagon with the 1.8T. Manual tranny in both. The 1.8 has some turbo lag but the RX-7 had a lag akin to turbo lag. Unless you've got to drive aggressively, the 1.8T with 5-speed is fine. Don't know about the automatic.

Reply to
tf

Thanks for the info folks-- now know anyone who wants a spunky '02 Jetta

1.8? I'll be looking for those 1.8 Passats now. Pete
Reply to
pbeyer