1.8T chipped - long term results??

Wondering how chipped 1.8Ts are holding up in the long term?

[ A friend has had a 150bhp 1.8T chipped to ~225bhp for about 4 years now. He thrashes it, but has had no major problems. ]

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

I don't think there is that much power in just a chip. That is why he is doing well. Well maybe there is but some of the chip reviews I looked at suggested 50 hp. I guess it depends on how radical of a chip he got. If your friend is spending 2 hours a day at the race track doing 140 mph then he could wear out the engine faster than if he could only do 120 with the stock chip.

I have 135,000 miles since chipping my car but I rarely rev out the car and I never run at max speed. I hope to get 400,000-500,000 miles out of the engine but that might be low expectations.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Oops.. should have written ~195bhp NOT ~225bhp.

Obviously. As I say he thrashes his, but he's just one guy and maybe he's been lucky. This is why I ask.

Damn I was hoping you would say 5,000,000 miles.. :-)

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

it's basically the same engine in an Audi TT which has around 220hp.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
Jim Behning