1.8T JETTA or honda/acura?

Someone got rid of their VW for a Maxima:( I'm almost in the same boat but thought I would seek support from this group before I go Japanese. My heart says VW (I love my 89 16V Jetta) but my wife needs a new car. My head says honda/acura since VW has never gotten the gremlins out of their cars. Coil packs, window regulators etc. The Jap stuff is cheaper to buy but the VW is way cooler to look at. I have never met a VW dealer I liked or trusted and that will probably remain the same for honda as well and I am concerned about maintenance and reliability after the first three years. It seemed that I had to fight for every warranty issue that arose regarding the 89 but I still love that car. Someone please talk me off the ledge before I jump...

Reply to
Rick

"but the VW is way cooler to look at"... let's hope the tow truck pulling your way cool car has a matching pin stripe cuz you'll be pretty good friends with him in no time... Welcome to the world on the "New VW"......

Reply to
Jon Burrows

Reply to
Rick

I know this doesn't work for everyone. (And it's just a grand scheme in my head, since I haven't gotten out of college to try it yet). But what's wrong with a 'new' used car? Maybe one of the Mid year A3s? Or if you find one with no rust an A2? You'd have to be mechanically inclined (or have the time) to fix it if you didn't want to pay an arm and a leg. I love my 91. And when my girlfriend hassles me about buying a hundred dollars worth of parts I ask her what her car payment is.

Reply to
Matt Anderson

I know this doesn't work for everyone. (And it's just a grand scheme in my head, since I haven't gotten out of college to try it yet). But what's wrong with a 'new' used car? Maybe one of the Mid year A3s? Or if you find one with no rust an A2? You'd have to be mechanically inclined (or have the time) to fix it if you didn't want to pay an arm and a leg. I love my 91. And when my girlfriend hassles me about buying a hundred dollars worth of parts I ask her what her car payment is.

Reply to
Matt Anderson

Keep the VWs for yourself and get your wife the Honda/Acura. If she isn't a car enthusiast, then she won't understand the "tough love" we have with our VWs. The first two times in the first six months the Check Engine light comes on, you won't hear the end of it.

VWs are good cars, but you have to be psyched up and "ready" to own one.

Reply to
Matt B.

I agree. Unless your wife is a VW fan, you probably want to go with the Japanese car. My girlfriend and I purchased an immaculately maintained '91 Civic Si for her to drive. She doesn't even like to get into my '87 Golf, although that's partly because the passenger door does not open/close reliably!

However, my Golf is at 247,000 and has stranded me only once in the 80,000 miles I've owned it.

The Civic (now at 123,000) has stranded us twice in under a year. Honda reliability?

Who is going to drive the car? Make a short list including VWs and others and let your wife pick out what she wants to drive.

Reply to
Jason Faas

What he said.

Reply to
93 Fox

The two issues you listed have been fixed.

I have such a hard time believing that a Honda can be such a better car for parts longevity... And they have problems of their own, their 5 speed trannys had serious issues.

Think of the safety aspect too, VW gives you all the main saftey equipment on the base CL model, front, side airbags, plus ABS. Then you can add head-bags, and ESP, traction control on the upper models... Most Honda's you gotta option out things like ABS, extra airbags, and four wheel disks (maybe not the Accord anymore.... I don't follow them that much). Plus, screw the "star" rating for safety, I think a VW would handle a REAL accident much better then a Honda.... who crashes at exatly 35MHP..... what about at

60MPH, for both vehicles.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Or that semi that was doing 65 mph in front of me and crossed over to the other side. didn't hit anything, Hey, I'm ok with a 35 mph impact in almost any car. What I care about is real life accidents, not the parking accidents tested by the NHSA.

Reply to
Baudolino

I was the guy that dumped the Jetta for the Maxima. First of all, I don't think you can compare the two cars specifcally -- different classes. But, given that...I loved my Jetta. I really did. Loved the way it drove, love how it handeled, loved the engineering within. However, I got sick of having the VW dealer be my 2nd home. The car disappointed me more than any other car I've ever owned in terms of reliability. It was not there when I needed it most. I'm a big fan of practicality, and while the VW drove awesomely, it was not nice on the wallet and not nice on the nerves.

I'd say do whatever is best for you. There is no "one best" car. I've had great success with Japanese in the past, so sitcking with what works, I went back to Japanese. That's all.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hang on folks I have seen the future and it is the TDI Passat!!!

Reliable, Economical and the simpleton behind the wheel can replace most of the parts and put it back in working order.

Avoid the stigma of Nissan ownership and wait it out until the fall!

Reply to
Mike

|Hang on folks I have seen the future and it is the TDI Passat!!! | |Reliable, Economical and the simpleton behind the wheel can replace most of |the parts and put it back in working order.

I understand they are also more powerful

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to