1.8T Oil - Warranty

There's a new VW dealer where I live. The old dealer sold VW/Porsche to the new owner and kept BMW.

I recently took my 2003 Passat VW 1.8T in for maintenance. The shop ticket shows that the new dealer used Mobil 1 5/30 (or 0/30 -- I have the receipt at home right now) synthetic. I didn't see this oil on the list of "approved" oils that I received from VW when the engine warranty was extended, a few years ago, due to sludge problems. The old dealer used an approved Castrol synthetic.

I went to VW's web site, but I couldn't find a list of approved oils. I then called VW and was basically given a run around. I was told that there isn't a master list that can be viewed or obtained by the general public or even VW turbo owners. I could only ask about a particular oil. I wasn't left with a warm and fuzzy feeling about the VW guy's competence given his general ignorance about the sludge problem and the extended warranty.

Is there a newer list of oils that must be used to have the extended warranty apply?

The following is from the materials I received a few years ago (with the listed oil omitted): Warranty extended to 8 yeas and unlimited mileage. Requirements: oil change 5000 miles/6 months Approved oils: VW 502.00

Reply to
Rocco

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rocco) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t47g2000hsc.googlegroups.com :

Mobil's UK Web site shows their "5W-30" meeting VW 502.00,

their Polish site shows "5W-40"

while the US Web site only mentions the "0W-40".

I guess you'll have to look at the barrel they pumped it out of.

Be careful Web searching, since sometimes they show it as "502.00" and sometimes as "502 00".

Reply to
Bert Hyman

If done by an authorized VW dealer, then by definition it is the correct oil. Just make 100% sure you keep your reciepts for *all* oil changes!

Reply to
PeterD

Well that works well for what is covered under the warranty, but if damage is not apparent until after the extended warranty is up the OP is still stuck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Joseph Meehan) wrote in news:47547380$0$2376$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

But if the failure occurs after the extended warranty is up, the owner is "screwed" regardless of what kind of maintenance was performed.

That's why the warranty has an expiration period; they're not going to cover you forever.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Reply to
none2u

I wouldn't count on VWOA stranding by their dealers. There are still VW dealers that will fill that engine with conventional oil.

Reply to
No Spam Please

Google is your friend:. Look here:

I think the only Mobil 1 available in the US that meets VW 502 is 0w40 European

Reply to
No Spam Please

By law they must.

It is either that or you must do all your own oil changes, buying the approved oil yourself, and doing the work yourself. In that case you know 100% that the right oil is in there.

Reply to
PeterD

The dealer used Mobil 5/30 -- FP Number 98HR05. I didn't get a hit on Google, Yahoo, or Copernic for Mobil 98HR05. The VW tech bulletin (copyright 2006) only shows Mobil Syst S ESP as meeting 502 00.

Is this worth checking into with the dealer? In all my visits to the old-dealer, I never had the impression that the service rep knew what he was doing with respect to the sludge/warranty/approved oil issue. I'm not so much concerning whether Mobil is good -- that's more or less understood. I'm concerned about maintaining the warranty in effect.

My gut reaction is to call the new dealer and ask exactly what it put in and how it justified use of the product unless it's the Mobil Syst S ESP or unless the dealer has a Tech bulletin and what it used is on the list.

The bottom line is that I don't know 100% that the right oil was used. I never got that impression with the old dealer either unless I checked.

Reply to
Rocco

That sounds like good advice. I know for a fact that as of a couple years ago one local dealership was using conventional 10W30 for everyone.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

We still have 1.8t owners who don't want to use synthetic in their engines. Go figure. Our repair orders have "customer requests synthetic oil" or "customer requests regular oil" printed on the repair order.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

What law is that?

Reply to
No Spam Please

As I'm sure you know, not all 1.8T engines require synthetic. The transverse-mounted ones do just fine on conventional oil.

Reply to
No Spam Please

What law is that?

Reply to
No Spam Please

Reply to
D&LBusch

My new Passat 2.0T requires 502 spec. The only 502 spec Mobil Oil I could find here (Atlanta) was 0W40. The only other 502 Spec oil I fouind was Castrol Syntec 5W40. I change my own oil (too many cars to have someone else do it), and will continue to do so since this whole conversation about dealers not complying scares me some.

Has anyone talked to VW of North America to report these dealers. I have contacts there (I work for Porsche) and would willingly gather data you have, verify it, and involve the people that can do something about it.

Let me know,

Reply to
Joseph Gliebe

Reply to