10000 mile service

We have a 2005 Passat TDI that is going for its 10,000 mile service and he dealer quoted $106.00 Does this sound like a good price? Seems mostly for the oil and filter change. With all the dealer bashing in this NG I thought I should ask what others are paying for this service.

Cecil Hayden

Reply to
Detailing Dude
109 at our place.
Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

The price does not seem all that high, but remember that you are NOT obligated to have the dealer do the work. If you trust the dealer and don't have someone local that you trust more, I would go with them. However it appears you don't have a lot of trust with the dealer and you may want to consider having and independent mechanic who you do trust do the work.

There is no requirement that the dealer needs to do the work, only that it be done to assure your warranty is valid. Generally an independent mechanic will charge less.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

After reading all the problems with using the correct oil and I read here that only the dealers can get it, I thought they were my only option. Can the correct spec'd oil be obtained independently?

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

Sure.

I am going to guess that the oil requirements for your are listed in the owner's manual

There are likely three listings. The VW specification, followed by an European specification and finally the SU listing.

It is not 100% clear what VW is saying, but it appears that it is saying any of the three are acceptable and if you want to chose one over the other, then it would be top to bottom.

It is my opinion, that you can safely use any of the three there. Likely it will show CI (That is Compression [diesel] I [the alpha character for the lowest acceptable standard] You could then use CI, CJ, CK etc.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The only oil you should ever be using in your TDI is a 505.01 VW spec oil.

5w40. period.

You can get the oil mail order at reasonable cost at tdiparts.com or worldimpex.com

If you do not use the right spec oil, VW will do everything in its power to not do any oil related repairs under warranty.

If you change the oil yourself, keep recepts, keep at least one bottle and mileage at time of oil change. This motor I believe takes 4 liters of oil.

Reply to
Leicaman

Well, We ended up taking it to the dealer. Oil change and service was nice, BUT, my license plate was stolen while on their lot. They did agree to pay the cost for new ones. Even when they do things right they still seem to be in trouble (sort of). Thanks everyone for you comments and advice.

Reply to
Detailing Dude