16V Scirocco Transmission

My 1987 16V Scirocco need a transmission*.

In trying to look up a replacement, I keep running into "02C Code EGC", "02A" and "02C Code CZM" and perhaps others.

How do I know which of these apply to my car?

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Forgot the * foot note I meant to include on the original message.

I'm 99% sure the current one is shot.

I was taking a right turn from a stop, in first, let out the clutch and heard a substantial BANG and the car was suddenly in neutral. Put it in first again, let out the clutch very carefully and got the car moving. After getting it moving noted a rattling noise from up front. Noise went away whenever the clutch was on the floor, came back whenever it was up, even if the trans was in neutral. All six gears (rev. & 1-5 fwd) work but along with the rattle there's a thump or vibration (hard to describe) if the car is moving. Also, if I let the clutch up anything other than very cautiously, it seems to engage very suddenly and either the car leaps forward or gets forced out of gear into neutral.

So, is there a chance it's NOT a blown up transmission?

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary
02A, C is a type code. Youre box is a 020 type. Look at the front/underside for the transmission code, two char. Sometimes a rivet of the diff. breaks. My guess it's a clutch failure....

SFC

"Bill Leary" schreef in bericht news:w-idncznfP0aW-janZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
SFC

always check the CV Joints to make sure that one is not broken. It could also be the transmission. :-(

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks.

Ah

I'd gotten to wondering about the clutch because all the gears seemed to work and there was that totally uncharacteristic "grab" if I let it out at a normal rate.

Be nice if it's just the clutch. I'll have the shop take it apart and see if that's it. I can have them look up the trans code while they're at it.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

I've had CV joints fail a number of times, and I always ended up with an unmovable car when it happened with all the power going to the broken side. I guess I wasn't aware a CV could break and the car still move.

Or, as someone else just suggested, the clutch. I'll have it all checked out next week.

Thanks.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Sorry, following up my own message since I didn't save SFC's...

I found a flat spot on the bottom of the transmission. It contains two lines of characters, apparently stamped into the flat spot.

The first line on both transmissions begins AGB and has five or six digits after it.

The second line looks to be all digits, and in a somewhat smaller type face.

Since you said "two char.," I'm assuming this isn't the code I'm looking for. But I'm also not seeing anything on the front of either trans. Am I looking for something stamped in, cast in, or something else? Also, can you be more specific as to exactly where this is? It's pretty messy under there on both cars (both had similar oil leaks in the last couple of years) so knowing where to scrape the crud off would help.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

I'm learning new stuff every day. I always thought it was a two char code but I checked with etka and it seems the '86 scirocco 16v uses a AGB box. So your observation is correct.

SFC

"Bill Leary" schreef in bericht news:2f6dnQNaTvf_tgjanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
SFC