180BHP 1.8T or 2.8 V6 4MOTION??

What's your preference??

I'm looking at 01 models [UK].

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
The Artist

If you're going to chip the motor, the 1.8T is the clear choice. If not... well, the V6 makes more power and torque, but it's heavier, so IMO it's kind of a wash. OTOH, models with the 1.8T tend to be cheaper.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

If you're going to chip the motor, the 1.8T is the clear choice. If not... well, the V6 makes more power and torque, but it's heavier, so IMO it's kind of a wash. OTOH, models with the 1.8T tend to be cheaper.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

"Mike Smith" emitted :

Friend has chipped his 1.8T, claims it takes up to ~225BHP without any further mods (well.. new alloys + tyres). Does this sound plausible to you? It's certainly feels quite a bit quicker, we averaged it to well under 7 seconds 0-60 over a few runs.

The ones I've seen lately in the UK, from main dealers, seem to be pretty close in price for same vintage/mileage. Like, maybe a few hundred to a grand more for the V6.

Any comments on reliability?

Cheers, Paul.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
The Artist

I have no personal experience with this, but from what I've heard that sounds plausible. With modifications, I've heard of people getting up to 270 hp.

Well, I've had my Passat V6 for 18 months/6700 miles so far, and it hasn't blown up yet! ;-) My neighbors have got a '98 V6 with about 65K miles on it, runs fine, no major engine work yet.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

With a stock 1.8t chipped the power limit is about 220hp. Have heard anything above that may cause problems in engine durability. As for which engine, it's a toss up, but the 1.8t might be more economical to service down the road.

Reply to
Woodchuck