1981 Rabbit (gas) won't start. HELP!!

1981 rabbit 1.7 with cis would not restart after being shut off. It will turn over and sometimes attempt to start but will not continue to run. We have replaced the fuel pump, pump relay, fuel filter and coil to no avail. We have checked the fuel distributor and can only assume it's providing the fuel needed. We have also checked for vacuum leaks in the air intake tube between the fuel distributor and the intake plenum. Is there any other known trouble spots for vacuum leaks that we should check? Now, it will start on carb cleaner and run until the vapor is used and then dies. Does this prove the ignition(i.e. coil, computer, sensors, etc.) is working? If so, then how do you remove the injectors to check for fuel delivery? If no fuel is being injected, what would be the most likely cause? Thanks in advance to any help or suggestions. Jay
Reply to
Jay Orcutt

Jay Orcutt

Jay,

There is a special tool for removing CIS injectors. I usually use a screw driver though. You just have to do it gentley, and don't pull or put force on the line part of things - only on the injector itself.

Also, Jim B. has a good point. CPR could be part (or all) of your problem. My rabbit has been through several of them, and it's always because the screens get clogged with rust. For some reason the large unit used in later golfs, etc. don't seem to have this problem for some reason.

ccp

Reply to
ccp