1983 VW GTI HELP!! This car is making me crazy!

Help! The GTI stalled (like it was out of gas) going uphill today. It wasn't out of gas. It is idling fine, but when I go to put it into gear, it stalls. Also, it seems like the wipers are going slower than normal when they are turned on. Any suggestions what I should do? (besides drive the dang car off of a cliff!)

THANKS! Jennifer

Reply to
BruiseLee

start by having the battery and alternator checked since you said the wipers are slow. If you need a cliff, I know of a good one?

Reply to
Woodchuck

And check those big boots and hoses going to the throttle body from the fuel distributor. It shouldn't affect the wipers unless the engine just died out and the voltage has dropped.

dave

Could be fuel starvation caused by a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump.

Reply to
Matt B.

Classic symptoms of a clogged fuel filter (with the exception of the wipers).

Reply to
Brian Running

I recently had my 95 Jetta serviced because it was bogging down when I put it in gear and gave it gas. It turned out to be a clogged/fried catalytic converter. It turns out that the catalytic converter had been plugged due to improper combustion caused by a faulty engine speed sensor (I think its a Hall-effect device) on the distributor. My car, too, idled perfectly fine.

I'm saying that it could also be your distributor, distributor cap, rotor, or perhaps the catalytic converter. Take it in for service.

Reply to
£¢$¥