1984 Turbo Diesel

HELP!!!

I have a 1984 Turbo Diesel, rebuilt turbo and pump and rings done 40k ago. It is using a lot of oil, oil sitting the turbo, oil in the crankcase breather tube, into the intake and its so bad oil is leaking from the intake hose on the turbo and leaving a huge puddle everywhere I go. The engine starts great even when it is -10 with no block heater runs great get 50mpg on the highway. What is wrong I'm at my wits end.

Reply to
wolfsburgnut

Check oil separator drain hose for blockage? Replace oil separator (hockey puck lookin thing on the valve cover)?

Reply to
tylernt

I did both those things and to no avail. Found out there is a lot of crankcase pressure so the rings must be shot.

Reply to
wolfsburgnut

Hi do you have a valve cover baffle in your engine? this helps cut down oil splash. make sure your clamps are tight on all lines and fittings. Did you use German rings or Mexico type? also did you deglaze the cylinders ,amount of wear in cylinders? also what was the milage when re-ringed?

Reply to
zakman

Reply to
none2u

When I bought the engine it already had new rings in it done by a repair shop. The guy had all the reciepts, bearings and oil pump were done too. I don't have a baffle would one from a later engine work

1987? It was re ringed at 260,000 km has 300000km on it now.
Reply to
wolfsburgnut

Any of those baffles will work . you will find them in the 88and up 1.8 gas jobs. I think I have a used one here . If you are interrested. some times rings are installed and the cylinders are not de-glazed enough. or cheap rings out of mexico/brazil.and cylinders glaze over.to quick before rings seat for good compression. also hard chrome rings will also do this. combined with worn pistons etc. zakman

Reply to
zakman via CarKB.com

Check to see if the oil return line from the turbo down to the oil pan is clear. If it is plugged, oil will shoot out around the turbo oil seals. Are you sure the turbo was rebuilt? This is a classic failure mode of VW turbochargers. High mileage units will leak oil into the intake system due to worn seals. You accellerate from a stop after idling for 2 minutes or so and a big puff of smoke rolls out of the tail pipe and fogs the intersection! Not very pleasant. Either you return line is plugged or partially plugged or kinked, or the seals are leaking badly. Even my 165,000 mile turbo diesel Jetta puffs oil from the turbo seals but not as bad as yours!! TEMiller

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Corrado Daddy

This may sounds like a stupid question, but here goes. I ordered a valve cover baffle for my Rabbit, and I'm now in the process of installing it. Does the baffle just lay right on top of the camshaft bearing nuts? Or am I supposed to actually take off the nuts, put the camshaft bearing bolts through the holes on the baffle, and then tighten the nuts over the top of the baffle?

For now, I'm simply going to lay the baffle over the top and not mess with the nuts. It seems like it might rattle around in there and not stay put, but I'd rather do that than touch the camshaft bearing caps.

Thanks! Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to
none2u

Thanks none2u for the clarification. I didn't try actually pushing it hard on the nuts. I just laid it over them and put the valve cover off. Next time I take the valve cover off, I guess I'll try pushing it on with a little bit of force.

Thanks again, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to
none2u

OK. Thanks again for your help. You have helped me with many of my questions over the last few months. I appreciate it.

-Bryan

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton