1984 VW GTi Rabbit Failed Smog

Hi

I just to have my 1984 GTI Rabbit Smog and it failed!! I am in California the SF bay area.

Here are the results

AT 15 MPH 1980 RPM CO2 14.7 O2 0.6 HC 108 (max is 152 and Ave is 41) CO .75 (max is .91 and Ave is .13) NO 1904 (max is 1208 and Ave is 399) FAILED

AT 25 MPH 2255 RPM CO2 14.7 O2 0.5 HC 99 (max is 127 and Ave is 29) CO .78 (max is .71 and Ave is .11) FAILED NO 1772 (max is 1038 and Ave is 332) FAILED

So as you can see NO is VERY High.. And the hc and hc are on the high side except at 25 mpg co failed slightly above.

I want to have a go at the repair myself.

Any ideas where I should start?

I guess I should concentrate on the high NO and maybe the CO will fall a bit since it is borderline?

Thanks James

Reply to
James Murphy

Hi

I am the original poster.

I forgot to add that this year / make does not have a EGR valve!

Thanks James

Reply to
James Murphy

Remove the cat and see if it's all there. In my state CO2 must be above 6% so don't worry there.

Reply to
Woodchuck

More info. Did you belt it at peak revs in 2nd gear, 3rd and top on a good road for two minutes in each gear to blow out the exhausts. Did you disconnect the two hoses from the fuel filter, and run thru, 0.5 litre of injector cleaner (with some diesel) until it is used up? And pump the other

0.5 litres into the tank to keep the bits clean?

I guess not. Try it

If that fails again, and if the Bosch Injection Pump is mechanical (almost certain) back off the full throttle stop, and the screw that limits the fuel delivery volume. Back off the first by 3 quarters of a turn max, and the second by about one half a turn. Turn each back after it passes.

Or ship it over to me in the UK, and I might find time to do it.

Buy the two Bosch booklets on the rotary VE diesel Injection pump

-- Derek Wealleans snipped-for-privacy@clara.dot.co.uk Remember:- remove the anti spam

Reply to
Derek Wealleans

The 1984 Rabbit GTI was NOT a diesel engine ... no injection pump, just an electric fuel pump back by the fuel tank. It uses the CIS lambda injection system.

My guess ... either the Cat is gone or the O2 sensor needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

HI

Thanks for the reply.

I think you misunderstood. THe car is gas not diesel.

Thanks James

Reply to
James Murphy

It's too lean. If it's cis you can adjust the mixture in the fuel distr. (3mm allen ) Turning it clockwise will make it rich. Be carefull it's very sensitive, start with a 1/4 turn.

SFC

"James Murphy" schreef in bericht news:S5hGc.11320$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
SFC

The present CO is .75% and the max is .91% and in my opinion a 1/4 turn will cause the CO to exceed the max limit.

Reply to
Woodchuck