1986 A1 Rabbit Cabriolet Heatercore

anyhave have a how to or suggestions to how to change the heathercore on a

86 cabriolet with ac.

thanks

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

to do it correctly, one must remove the complete heaterbox assembly.

Reply to
Woodchuck

any how-to out there with pictures?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

does this look about right?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

Depends on what you call "right" but it looks right to me if you are going to do the work yourself.

I assume the heater core leaks. Replacing a heater core right (removing the box) on most cars would require a lot more hours of work for a novice than one would think.

It is sad these things fail and are hard to replace. VWs seem less prone to such failures than many cars. I wonder if a different antifreeze would have made it last.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Except he used the "chopper" method! That kind of work done at the dealer would get the tech fired! Chopping a hole in the side of the heater box isn't the correct way to do the repair, but it's your car.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Do you know where that is good information? like better pics and the correct way to do the repair?

-Lee

Reply to
Lee