1987 Golf front strut bearings

Replaced the front struts on this approx 3000 miles (5 years) ago, but didn't replace the strut bearings. Now they need replacing, but i have forgotten the configuration of the strut/spring/bearing/etc (it's been 5 years). After removing the spring/strut assembly, do I need to compress the spring and disassemble the unit to get at the bearing? And, is the bearing an integral part of the mount on this model ('87 GL)?

Thanks . Ken

Reply to
fortfun

yes and sort of.

I believe that you can use VR6 style strut bearings on an A2, but you need to change another couple parts out. They're supposed to be much more durable. Probably only worth it if you plan on keeping the car another decade or so.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If it's a late-enough 87, then the stuff from the early A3 will fit. It could well be cheaper as well. Even genuine. The original dust-cap won't fit over the top though.

Replacement with the deep-groove ball-bearing type strut mount tightens up the front of the car noticeably.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

The strut bolt goes through the bearing. You barely have to compress it to get it off.

Reply to
None4You