1987 VW Cabriolet...no spark, no start

I'm trying to help a friend with his Cabriolet...there's no spark at the spark plugs. I've run some standard voltage tests (from the Bentley manual) on the coil, pickup, ignition module, and so far everything seems ok. Can someone give me some ideas for proceeding at this point. The only substitute part I have is an electronic ignition coil from my 1983 Vanagon. I know a regular 12v coil would be interchangeable in a non electronic system, but not sure about the electronic ignition coil and if it's interechangeable...and I want to be sure before I risk it.

I'd appreciate some help, I'm a bit fuzzy about this ignition system.

jc

Reply to
jbclem

does camshaft and distributor turn while cranking?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
Jim Behning

Have you tried troubleshooting in the opposite direction, from the plug toward the coil?

If a recall correctly this oddball system uses a standard rotor and distributor cap, and, hall sensor (magnetic pickup). Dave

Reply to
Dave

Bad ignition switch? Try a direct wire from + battery to #15 of the coil.

SFC

"Lost In Space/Woodchuck" schreef in bericht news:DQAOi.71$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sisna.com...

Reply to
SFC