1987 VW Golf rear strut/spring removal

You need to jack up and support both sides of the car to enable you to lower the axle far enough to get the struts out. Use a jack to support the axle when you remove the top nuts then remove the bottom bolts and lower the axle until you can get them out. It's best to loosen all the fixings before jacking the car up and don't tighten them until the car is back on the ground.

Homer.

Reply to
Homer

How do I get the rear strut/spring assembly out of the wheel well? Do I have to drop the control arm? Compress and dismantle the spring and disassemble before removing from the well? The instructions with the new struts don't address this issue.

What I have done:

remove top two nuts and associated washers/spacers/bumpers

jack up car/ support with stands

remove wheel

unbolt bottom mounting bolt

Strut/spring then drops down, but not out. It can't come straight down because of the bottom bolt mounting bracket. It won't lift up to clear the mounting bracket because it is too long. I'm obviously missing something here. Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA. Ken

Reply to
kwalters

You should leave the spring/schock as a whole unit then drop it out.

Reply to
Dave