1989 Jetta Airdam

Nice group and info here guys. Hoping you can offer some expertise on a dilemma of mine.

I want to install an air dam on my 1989 Jetta, which I think is an A2. I cannot locate one for the life of me. Can an air dam for A1s fit an A2 with some minor mods. I found this one and I like the look and price:

Called service and was told there is nothing for the A2. They thought the A1 dam "might" work... I DAGS and saw some references to a euro GTI spoiler. Any suggestions for around the same price or cheaper? Many thanks in advance. SS

Reply to
msschmenk

Yes it is.

The A1 was quite a bit narrower than the A2, so I don't think you'll have any luck fitting A1 body part on an A2.

Check

Under body styling there areseveral manufacturers, Rieger, FK and European parts all show some itemsfor the A2.

Also check

and

Randolph

Thanks for the links.

Per service guy, no dice.

and

Nothing here either, BUT he recommended calling a dealer for a A2 stock GLA or GTI air dam (which I found is available for $160.00). This appears to be the best candidate except I need to confirm mounting.

Reply to
msschmenk

Thanks for the help!

After 2 dozen calls I find a dealer with big bumpers. New front and rear for $200 shipped.

DAGS on big bumpers and found some great stuff. I just wanted to confirm I need new a "rebar" for both and these will mount to otherwise stock my 1989 Jetta Carat.

SS

Reply to
msschmenk

The front rebar is the same on Jettas between the small and big bumpers.

The rear one is not. The rear bumper rebar for a big bumper is shown as

176807308A for the rebar and also different brackets too (165807331C and 165807332C left and right, respectively).
Reply to
Matt B.

I have one that came off a 1987 GLI. It's aftermarket but I do not know the make. It covers the area from below the bumper to just off the pavement, and wraps to the wheel openings. Email me directly if interested and I'll try to get some pics.

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Rex B