1989 VW Cabriolet Cold Start Problems

I have an 89 Cabby, and the ole girl has a hard time starting in the morning. I have to crank her serveral times. She has had a tune up, all the basics and her main fuel pump is about 3 years old. Looking for advice. Thanks.

Reply to
jondavid.kirkham

well if its a diesel than i would check your glow plugs. my jetta has a bad glow plug and it does the same thing.

Reply to
light

Did VW make the cabrio in a diesel (for the US market (ole girl))?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Did VW make the cabrio in a diesel (for the US market (ole girl))?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

No, it is not a diesel. I also smell gas when I am at a stop light.

Reply to
jondavid.kirkham

No, it is not a diesel. I also smell gas when I am at a stop light.

----------

So, the symptoms are strong odor of gasoline when not traveling, harder than normal to start.

Based on my recent experiences with an 88 Fox, consider these things. Thermo-time switch or defective cold-start valve for the delayed time to start problem. Look under the hood for the fuel vapor canister, may have problem there, and, the fuel reservoir has a filter that my be near plugged and causing a small leak but not enough to drip on the pavement, all regarding the fuel smell. The fuel reservoir is between the fuel transfer pump in the tank, and the primary fuel pump just follow the fuel hose hand over hand.

Reply to
Dioclese

from memory the cabrio has Digifant injection which is no where the same as the 88 Fox which was CIS-E.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Did you check the coolant temperature sensor for the fuel injection? Do you have a Bentley for your Cabriolet?

No, it is not a diesel. I also smell gas when I am at a stop light.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

2 4mm allan bolts hold the cold start injector , remove it before starting and see if it squirts

Whens was the fuel filters replaced?

mario

Reply to
Kafertoys