1990 Corrado G60 Supercharger

My son is buying a 1990 Corrado G60 which has had the supercharger removed.

We're looking to do any of the following.

  1. Replace the supercharger. Suggestions on where to get one? He's found some in the K range, which is steep for his budget, and it's not clear they're the right part anyway.

  1. Repair the supercharger. Again, locations? Prices? He thinks he's found one for 0, but we'd like experienced opinions.

  2. Retune the engine to run properly without it. According to the previous current owner, it's running rich because the supercharger is missing.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Sounds like you're buying an abortion! If the former owner removed the charger versus fixing it one can only imagine what else is wrong. Sure hope it's cheap.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Not me. I'd be going for a V6 version, if I got one at all. My son's interests run a bit differently than mine.

We've looked it over pretty closely, and my son drove it. It's in pretty good shape, but for a few cosmetic issues inside and the supercharger. I suppose we may discover other issues once he starts driving it.

Not cheap, not expensive.

The guy who owns it, it seems, ran into some financial problems. It seems to run pretty well even without the supercharger, and it passed inspection (including emissions) without it a few months ago, but the guy who did the inspection said that it was running rich, but was within their limits.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

I do have an ECU here for it if you ever need one. Let me know if it an auto or manual trans.

Reply to
Woodchuck

This is an ECU adjusted to work without the supercharger?

How much would that cost?

And, it's a manual transmission.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Prices seem high. get a core from a junkyard for a couple hundred bucks, and have one of the well known rebuilders go through it (BahnBrenner, Kompressor Kanada)

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

I kind of thought so, but this is my first experience with a VW supercharger. My Scirocco's don't use them.

Thanks for the names. We'll look them up.

We've actually still got the supercharger. The current owner said it died, and we didn't go into it with him. I'll have my son ask how it died when he goes to get the car.

Thanks.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

I recall the brand new ones costing about 1500-2500 and rebuilds costing 500-1000 when I was interested in them. Got a diesel rabbit for free instead :)

Reply to
Johann Koenig

BTW Kompressor Kanada is listing rebuilds with no core required for $1600 (US) on their web site.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK. So the prices my son found weren't unusual, just painful to our budget. :)

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

"they all do that" it seems. It's a rare G60 that's not running rich, and a leaky FPR can only exacerbate the problem (not an uncommon issue.)

My fiancee has the exact car you're looking at, so feel free to ask questions. The CCA (Corrado Club of America) has a web site with a mailing list/Yahoo group thing, which is good to join if you are serious about this car and can turn your own wrenches.

BTW if you can tell me why her #$%^%$^&* cruise control isn't getting vacuum, I'm all ears. I did replace the vacuum pump with a supposed "known good" one. I know that's the issue because when she got the car the cruise worked, but I won't horrify you by telling you exactly how it was getting vacuum (I wonder what would have happened had she gone up a hill steep enough to put it on boost?)

nate

Reply to
N8N

I've spent most of my time on Scirocco's (my favorites). My son liked the Sciroccos also, but had decided on the G60 for his daily wheels. I liked the V6 I drove, but wasn't as impressed with the four with SC. Seemed to be a noticable lag between pedal and power. At least without the SC there's no lag. :)

FPR ?

I'll suggest it to my son. I'm a partial fix-it-myself. I used to do the full bit (rebuild engines, swap trans, fix anything), but these days I prefer to let a good shop do anything I'm not in a mood to do myself. Fortunately, I've found a good shop, so it works out OK.

I suspect I don't want to know... except maybe to make sure my son's isn't hooked up the same way.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Fuel Pressure Regulator. When the diaphragm gets a pinhole, the intake can suck fuel straight through causing it to richen up.

Be aware that a Corrado is a special beastie... some of the stuff is parts bin VW (lots of A2 and Passat parts) and some is quite unique (like the blower, at least in north America)

that would be a good thing to check :)

good luck with the car, they're a lot of fun when they're running right. I have to admit my personal favorite driver was my '84 Scirocco however.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Right. We'll check it.

That's the second or third time I've heard that. We'll keep it in mind if we go to the bone yard.

I have three '87 16Vs (two running, one basically only a body).

The newest (most recently bought) one is in the best shape and my favorite.

We also have an '84, which isn't running at the moment. It's what instigated my love of Sciroccos.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

The one I have is for an auto trans, but not sure what's the difference is between the auto & std. Maybe you can research it on the Corrado Club site.

Reply to
Woodchuck