1991 Jetta CA model is different

I just saw a California 1991 8V gas model for the first time here in Chicago. Totally odd stuff on the engine, at least to me: Different fuel injector wiring, with maybe individual wiring for each injector.

Different throttle body switches and two stop screws for the levers. Engine check light. I wonder if I can hook the vag-com tool up to the ECM?

But same wiring issues that the 91s are known for, ground wiring breaking at coolant flange, wiring breaking at throttle switches.

BTW it was failing the Indiana Emissions test due to the broken ground wire. later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Randolph

Well that Digifant I was something I don't remember seeing before, but I do remember working on an 88 (I think) Jetta 8V gas with the engine check light. I don't remember it well because it came to me with a running problem. It would start fine and then after a minute or two quietly die out. It had a bad oil pump that supplied too much pressure pumping up the lifters and keeping the valves open = no compression. So I did not look at the fuel injection as thoroughly like I did with this 91.

I really did not think the Digifant I would be THAT different than the Digifant II. Now I need to study the Bentley to see if differences are noted.

dave

Correct. Individual ground wires at each injector vs. a common ground. Allows monitoring of individual injectors by th ECU. The ECU can throw a fault code for a bad injector (4411 I believe) and I suspect that's why the individual grounds are there. Just a guess though on my part.

Digi-I uses a throttle valve potentiometer instead of idle and full-throttle switches like Digifant II.

Yes with an adaptor. See

However there is also a procedure in the Bentley for jumping two terminals under the shifter boot to get the code to blink out using the CEL. you can also reset/clear the codes this way too. How cool is that! No vagcom needed really for this car. Digifant 1 was used on California 8V Golfs/GTIs/Jettas for 1991-1992. Prior to that it was Digi-2 but still may have had a CEL if a California car.

The CEL on 1991-1992 Calif. Digi-1 cars is in the little panel along with the brake warning lamp and seat belt lamp.

The CEL on pre-91 Digi-2 Calif. cars I believe is actually part of a rocker switch that is just like the other rocker switches (see Bentley for illustration). blinking out the code on that kind of setup is even easier (see the Bentley). you don't even need a jumper wire like you do with Digi-1...you use the switch itself. Careful though...if you do it wrong in either case (Digi 1 or Digi 2 and reading the codes out) you might erase the code you're trying to get. The procedure for reading them and clearing them differs only by swapping two steps in a different order in the process so make sure you consult the Bentley first!

A lot of people like to hate Digifant, but my Digi-1 with its own diagnostic capabilities that do NOT require me to have a VagCom is awesome...I love it.

Reply to
Matt B.

To add to the confusion, Corrado G60s nationwide (not just CA) are Digifant I. But it's also not the same Digi-I that was in 1991-1992 California 8V G/J/GTIs either. Clear as mud? :)

Reply to
Matt B.

They are noted. I forget where exactly and it isn't more than a few sentence but it's there.

And here's an excellent site for the DIY-er on Digifant:

More specifically for your questions on Digi 1 vs 2:

Matt B.

thanks Matt You have given me a bunch of good info! :-)

dave

I must have been typing in my sleep. CIS = K-jetronic and CIS-e = KE Jetronic.

Reply to
Randolph