1991 VW Golf throttle response problems

What type of fuel injection does the car have (CIS, CIS-E, Digifant etc.)?

I assume that you have checked that the throttle plate actually moves.

With CIS and CIS-E (don't know about Digifant) air flow is measured by a plate in the air duct near the fuel distributor. At rest the plate almost blocks the air duct. At higher air flows the plate lifts. The plate is connected to the fuel distributor, incresing the amount of fuel delivered throough the injectors as the air flow increases. If this plate is stuck for some reason, you will first of all have a restricted air flow, and secondly the fuel supply will never increase beyond that at idle.

If you have a Bentley manual it will tell you how to check this. As a first test you can remove the air duct from the fuel distibutor housing and feel with your finger if the plate is stuck. (I have not looked at this for a few years, so my memory is a little fuzzy as to the exact procedure to get access to the plate). Be gentle, the fuel regulator is delicate. Do not open up the fuel regulator, it comes adjusted and assembled from the factory and can not be re-assembled and adjusted in the field.

costa_620 wrote:

Reply to
Randolph

Hello,

I have a 1991 VW that will not have any kind of throttle respons . the RPM will stay around 800RPM even with throttle plate wide open.

Could anyone help.

Thank you in advance for all the help

Reply to
costa_620