1993 VW Fox front strut mount replacement question -- repair manual for this car is out of print.

Hi, does anyone have any advice for replacing the front strut mounts? I'm going to tackle this job tomorrow.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
spam

i did my front strut inserts roughly a month ago. I saw no reason to replace the strut mounts??? therw as nothing to them. Are you reffering to the cone shapped cap on top the strut ?

Reply to
dontbeleivethis

Yes, the cone shaped rubber cap at the top of the strut. I borrowed spring compressors from the local Autozone. The strut mount also came with a bearing, which I don't understand. It doesn't rotate, so I don't understand the need for a bearing, but maybe I'll understand after I remove the old strut mount.

I paid a garage to review the car and give me a list of everything that must be done for the car to pass inspection (I live in Virginia).

Tom

Reply to
spam

aahhhh i know what you are talking about. I thought you meant the metal cone shaped pieace that looks to be a massive washer....that sits inside the engine bay.

I have no real comment on the rubber pieace you are hinting at. I just used my old one. As for the bearing, i simpley rubbed some greese into it...very very very shitty way to lub it up, but i my car is a beater, so i dont care. The strut does rotate it doesnt rotate a complete 360 degrees, but it does rotate.

Reply to
dontbeleivethis

It's a '93 so if the upper strut bearing plates/mounts/whatever you want to call them haven't been replaced in a couple of years and they fit into your budget, replace them. Does the rubber appear aged? Is there any movement at the top of the strut where these mounts should be doing their work? The struts do rotate, thus the bearing.

The cone shaped rubber cap that you mention sounds like the bump stop. If it's stock suspension, the originals should be fine. Otherwise, they're pretty cheap at the dealer.

Good luck! Darryl. p.s., careful with the spr>On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:11:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
Darryl