1995 Golf clutch question

Somehow I've been roped into replacing the clutch in my brother-in-laws Golf. He lives in Wisconsin and I live in Ontario. My question is what are the special tools I will need to bring. I can think just off the top of my head a 30mm socket for the hub, a 12 point for the axles and maybe the alignment tool for the disc if the new clutch doesn't come with one. Help me think of anything else I may need, it's a long drive to just sit around drinking beer wishing I wouldn't have forgotten to bring a certain socket. Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick

There are 12-point external(?) (triple square) on the flywheel but I can't recall the size. While you're at it, replace the clutch pushrod seal and the clutch pushrod release bearing (unless it's going to trash the 5th gear cap gasket). Don't forget heat for the pressure plate bolts and some lock-tite for the installation. If you buy at kit at CTC up here, they supply the centering tool for free (it's a plastic one). Have the flywheel crowned/machined/ground/ whatever you wanna call it. Just have it done!

Enjoy the drive and let us know how the border is acting these days.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Reply to
Rick

I've done a clutch on my 82 convertible (twice...goofed up the rear main seal the first time!) but not on my 95 Golf yet. However, in looking at the Bentley manual it mentions using a scissors jack to get the trans in or out of the car (something about pushing the trans forward...I can't remember). Perhaps the Golf jack would suffice.

From what I understand, the machine shop has to grind the opposite side of the flywheel also, so make sure they know how to do VW flywheels. Some folks just advocate buying a new flywheel. I was able to get away with just sanding the flywheel on my convertible. Worked fine but it is a much lighter clutch than the one on the 95.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

Reply to
Rick

IIRC, since I did a 94 Jetta 2.0 clutch and ordered both kits just in case...... Pressure plates will either be a 1 pin or 2 pin style that aligns them with the flywheel. Flywheels might be the same which doesn't make a lot of sense to me??? I did not see much difference in the clutch discs either.

Now I have both kits in stock if you need me to tell you differences with them side by side.

If I were to guess, I would think you need the 1 pin (later model) style.

dave

Reply to
Rick

Yeah I prefer having too many possible parts to fix the problem that not enough. Esp. when doing a "road-side repair" good luck Rick And don't forget some sandpaper and brake clean! lol later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The 12-points bolt the flywheel to the pressure plate. The pressure plate to crank are ~17 mm IIRC (and a pain in the ass to remove). The flywheel is a stepped flywheel (i.e., if they take X thousandths off the clutch disc surface, they have to take X thou off the step as well). If it's not apparent to the machinist, run!

Where do you cross? I might be heading through Windsor in the next couple of weeks and wanna know the *right* time :-)

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl