1995 jetta stalls randomly

The problem started when I was driving down the highway and all of the sudden when I was accelerating my car started slowing down, and when I would try accelerating more the car would slow down more, and the only way to get it to actually accelerate again was actually pumping the gas, then it would catch and speed up again. The car did that like 6 times that day, I almost thought I wouldn't make it home. Then after that I thought it was the fuel filter I changed that and, the car seemed fine. A couple days after that the car did it again, but at a lot slower speeds so this time I couldn't fix the problem by pumping it, it now would just stall. I took the car too a V.W. mechanic place, and they checked the check engine light, and thought it was the speed sensor, they put a new one in it and after that the car seemed fine again. Then 2 days after that it started doing it again, really bad, now the car only seems to run for about 10 to 30 seconds at a time. I took it back too the V.W. mechanic and he drove it and of course the car didn't stall or have any problems the whole time I left it there. He thought it could have been the idle regulator(I think that's what it's called), he told me the next time the car tries to stall again to unplug the sensor from it and see what happens, he said if I unplug it and the car runs better then that is the problem, and if the car runs worse then that isn't the problem. It happened again,and I unplugged it and the car ran worse and stalled. So I am really confused, Does anybody have any clue to what it could be?

Reply to
ss17goku

Do the lights dim before it stalls? Does it only stall when the headlights are on? If so, replace the alternator (mine did this, stalled several times) Other small thing is to check the condition of the air pump line. Goes from the exhaust (back of the engine) to the back of the air distributor (rear, top of engine). Small holes or a break in this metal line can make a huge change in how the car runs.

Reply to
cle0947

It ended up being the fuel pump, for some reason it kept failing at random times, I was told it was kind of weird because when fuel pumps break they usually don't run again, but mine still would start easily most of the time. Ever since the new pump was put in it hasn't stalled since. Every once in awhile it well run kind of rough and seem like it is going to stall, but it doesn't.

Reply to
ss17goku

Glad you found the problem! sometimes the bearings/bushings get worn and when they warm up some the pump could seize. Then when it cools down it make work again. Sometimes you can hear the pump buzz louder than normal. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Does a '95 have two fuel pumps? I know the A2s did and when one went the other was usually not far behind.

nate

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I think the 95 Jetta 2.0l only has one fuel pump enclosed in a plastic case attached to the sending unit sitting inside of the fuel tank.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1