1995 MKIII VW Golf Jetta Sunroof problem

Hi, It seems the sunroof is a common problem in the MK3-MKIII VWs. I'm a novice when it comes to DYI repairs, but I've got various tools and manuals and such. But here's the problem: The roof will move up and down almost fine, but when I want it to slide back and forth it will move about half an inch and groan to a stop. It sounds almos tlike there's something lodged in there that the motor struggles against and loses. I can repeatedly push the button and it will eventually open and close. I've taken off the glass and can't see anything obviously broken or worn or bent (the motor still cannot drive the frame smoothely, so it's not like it is too weak to move the heavy glass). I imagine this has something to do with these infamous cables (which I don't know how I get access to b/c I can't see them) or the motor Any insight would be appreciated! thanks,

-George

Reply to
neveraging

There's a pair of 'hooks' that are supposed to get pushed down when the slider mechanism starts to slide back. When it's forward, they get 'supported' against the track by a rubber 'o-ring'. It flattens over time, and the hooks pivot up a bit more than they should, jamming the mechanism. On mine, the 'hooks' are bright plated (chrome or gold, don't remember which). On the replacement parts, they're unplated.

The fix is to replace the o-ring. No, you'll not find 'em from the dealer. I've heard of them being replaced with anything from a found one at Pep Boys to winding up a rubber band lots of times around the 'ring' to beef it up a bit.

Hard to explain without a photo. If you send me an email (edit out the obvious stuff), I'll try to send you one with the thing circled. Or if you'd prefer not to, maybe I'll add it to my rather small tech page.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Thanks Mark, I tried sending an email to ...@austin.rr.com and it got bounced back. Basically, my wife is out of town with my digicam, but assuming I can't figure this out by her return, I'd like to send you said pics. But do you have a different e-mail I could send to? thanks,

-George

Mark Randol wrote:

Reply to
neveraging

Oooh oooh... that posting to your "small tech page" would be good for me too!

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Just checked. No room. RR limits to 5MB :( This is AFTER I shrunk most everything to get it to fit from the old page I had.

I really gotta get a less lame web host.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

If your software supports breaking things up, perhaps you could post to alt.binaries.misc. Post the subject and date here.

Reply to
Tom's VR6