1997 Golf Jazz

I was hoping you guys could offer your opinions on this car a friend is interested in. As stated in the title it's a 1997 Golf Jazz with 93,300 miles, 5-speed manual. Known problem is that the power locks don't work. Has had the timing belt and starter replaced. The exterior is in great shape. This is for sale by the original owner. They are asking $3500.00 for it. I was wondering if this is a fair price also if there are any known issues to look out for with this model/year? Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Archangel

Without being specific:

11 years old. 93,300 miles. When the timing-belt was done, did they also do the water pump and idler pulley? What other repair/replacements were done?

You remark on the exterior being in good shape? How's the interior? How is the clutch? Brakes? Tires? Suspension?

When were the struts last done? Their life is about 5 years/75,000 miles, whichever comes first - and that is a moving target even within those parameters.

Any history on the Clutch?

Any service records?

Pretty much any 11 year old car is the same as pretty much any other

11 year old car - any kinks/model-year peculiarities/special-faults have been long-since worked out of it or it would never have made it until age 11. So your concerns are life-safety, maintenance and wear items as well as its general integrity. And determining those things is eyeballs, nose and hands-on.

All the while keeping in mind that the "Blue Book" for that vehicle at that mileage from a private party is pretty much right at that asking price - so the seller is in tune with the market at the very least.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Whoops!

Forgot to add one more thing:

Take the thing to your most trusted mechanic. Pay him/her $75 or so to check _EVERYTHING_. Make a list of the cost of those things and anything else that it would take to make it a *Perfect* vehicle. That screens the car for obvious creepy-crawlies and then becomes your negotiating points on the final price should it pass the screening.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Well I think the price is dependent on the location of the vehicle too. I would not pay that much for a 1997 Golf in Chicago, but it may be worth that much elsewhere. I would say that if it is very good condition it might be worth $2500 here, but you already know that it needs work. ;-) pfjw is right about having a trusted VW mechanic check it out first.

Beauty is great but if it needs $3000 worth of mechanical repairs...............that $75 spent will save you! ;-) I have seen an 8 year old (1986) Jetta go for $400 with beautiful exterior and interior, but the car needed everything. Oil was leaking, coolant hoses were swollen, brakes were worn along with bad struts and shocks AND tires. It needed $2400 to bring it to a safe drivable condition. It was finally retired last year due to rust or I should say no floor!

Yep........Beauty ain't everything! lol JMHO!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the replies/advise. You all make good points. He was wondering if it was even worth looking at. I had told him to go down and look at it and drive it, take it to someone to look at it, and if he likes it and it's in god condition it might not be a bad car. This car is located in Pennsylvania. I think if it checks out fine, mechanically, he should offer about $2000 for it and see if she bites.

Thank again.

Reply to
Archangel

2Brk.37447$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com...
.

$2000 in PA, the land of Road Salt and pot-holes is about tops.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw