1997 Jetta ignition switch broke?

I have a 1997 Jetta and the radio stopped working. (I installed another after market radio and it doesnt work either) It appears that the ignition switch is not turning the radio on. Is this possible? How can I bypass this swich? How can I check the ignition switch on this car? Does the OBDII system have a code to check this? Thanks.

Reply to
pj

Get out your voltmeter. Check for power when ignition switch is on. go to fuse block to inspect radio fuse.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Hi Jim, Fuse is good. On the black connector I have voltage at the radio connector pin 7 (battery positive 12v on the meter) no voltage at pin 4 not sure what voltage this should be? (ignition switch -s-) no voltage at pin 6 not sure what voltage should be (radio illumination) Thanks.

Reply to
pj

When one of my ign switches in my '91 Passat was going bad, some components were not functioning. This included the power windows, heater blower AND radio. New dealer switch = no more problems! It could be a wire in your case or a relay. I had also found a bad wiring job going to my aftermarket radio while I changing my Passat's heater core.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Radios need to have two supplies of 12 volts and usually three

  1. Keep alive power - this 12v keeps the clock and stations programed
  2. B+ - this 12v powers up the rest of the radio when you turn the key on
  3. illumination - this 12v is supplied to the radio when the park/headlights are on ( lights it up nicely at night ) The radio needs the first two voltages to work and both are supplied from TWO different fuses. So when you say the fuse is good you're really only checked half.

Reply to
samstone

one fuse for each 12v supply

Reply to