1997 Jetta TDI timing belt

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 1997 Jetta TDI, and one thing I'm concerned about is the timing belt. It's the original and I'm thinking it might be about due for a change. The car has 125,000 kms on it and is selling for $5000 Canadian which I think is a pretty good deal even if I have to put in a new belt. Does anyone know what the approximate cost for labour/parts is for the belt change and when it's recommended to change it by VW? Also, is it worthwhile just doing the water pump as well while the belt is off?

Oh, and one other thing: One of the engine mounts seems to be completely shot. Of course, it's the most inaccessible one (passenger side, on the firewall). Any comments on driving with a busted engine mount, or approximate cost to replace?

Reply to
timofthenorth

Tim, if this truly a TDI for $5000 CAD with that kind of mileage, run and get it. That is a steal. Are you sure it is a TDI and not a straight TD? Is the body in good shape? Look very carefully, some of the A3's seem to be prone to rust.

A belt change at the dealer for my 95, including a new tensioner was about $350 CAD. I believe the interval is 60,000 miles or 100,000 kms. If you do buy it, I would have it changed immediately, regardless. It is cheap insurance to protect the motor.

No idea on the engine mount cost, sorry.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

My '97 Jetta TDI will turn 150k miles (241546 km) this month. You probably already know the tensioner should be replaced at the same time. It turns out all the other belts are removed to get to the big belt, I replace those too because the labor is "free". When I do this, the whole thing seems to come in under US$450. ( ~ Ca$560) My water pump had very minor evidence of leakage after 2 belts. If your feeling just a little lucky, do the water pump with the next timing belt.

regards, KL

Reply to
K. E. Loyd