1997 Passat V6 question

Was the V6 used in the Passat in 1997 a true V6 or was it Volkswagen's VR6? I know that the B5 moved to the Audi sourced 2.8 but the 6 used in 1997 seems to have identicle specs to the VR6 and I'm wondering if that's what it was. If it wasn't a VR6, where was it sourced from? Was it the same engine that Audi was using in the pre-30 valve A6? Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Yep...it was the VR6.

The traditional Audi-based V6 was used in the B5 and B5.5 Passats because those are an Audi sourced platform with a longitudinal engine.

The B3 and B4 Passats were VW platforms (partially related to the A2s actually) and had transverse engines, so VW used their own VR6 which was designed for transverse layouts.

The '06 B6 Passat separates from Audi again and goes to a transverse layout with a variation of the VR6 engine. US models will get a 3.6L version.

Reply to
Matt B.

what you mean a true 6?

VR6 is a true 6, has 6 spark plugs right.

Reply to
Lee

I meant a standard-layout V6, as opposed to the narrow angle layout the VR6 uses. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

So then it should be able to take any of the VR6 mods such as VF engineering's supercharger? Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

VR6 is a 12v engine with about 170hp, but the V6 is a 30v with 190hp. VR6 uses a single cylinder and V6 uses 2 cylinder heads.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'm well aware of the differences between VW's 12 valve and 24 valve VR6s and the Audi sourced 30 valve V6. What I wasn't sure of was if the six found in the

1997 Passat was the VR6 or the 2.8 Audi had been using the the A6 prior to the 30-valve engine. Steve Grauman
Reply to
Steve Grauman
97 Passat is still a VR6
Reply to