1997 VW golf 2.0L auto trans problem

Car has 94K miles. It can be very slow to shift, the rpm can get to be over 4000, and when it does shift the car sometimes has a slight jolt. Other times it will drive fine with no trouble.

Took it to Cottman's for a fluid change. The mechanic dd a test drive and refused to change the fluid because of the shifting issue. He called it a hard upshift in all gears, and said he would have to spend some time with it to figure out the problem. He also said the trans fluid level was right, it looked clean, and did not smell burned.

In the past I have used the transmission computer reset trick and it seemed to take care of the problem. The car does have 2 drivers, so my guess is that the computer is getting confused.

Should I have the guy look at it or just let it be and get by with the reset trick? I just want the car to be driveable for at least 2 more years.

Reply to
rs_joe

Did you buy this VW new? If so it still may have a warranty!

You should have the trans checked with a scanner for DTCs. You might find a faulty sensor or bad wiring going to a Speed Sensor on the trans, or a bad temperature sensor. HOW did he check the fluid level? A throttle body fault, which might cause a shifting problem, should light the Check Engine light.

I vote you check it out and have it repaired since it might be something in expensive now!

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I checked the transmission module for DTC's with vag-com and found nothing. The engine module gives me an error, but it is for an unrelated problem with the secondary air injection system (cracked vaccum hoses).

As for how he checked the level, I haven't a clue. I bought the car used, so no waranty. The guy I bought it from did say there was a bolt you could remove to check the fluid level, but I don't know where it is, or if it even exists.

I think I'll bring it to a VW (non dealer) shop. Does anyone know of any in the Albany NY area?

Reply to
hurleytech

Whatever you do, don't leave it at Cottmans...

Reply to
Peter Parker