1998 jetta headlight problem all headlights off

My car has daytime runninglights, but now all my headlights are off. Usally when you release the parking brake the headlights work, but now no lights. No fogs either. I changes the headlight switch already and problem is still there. Someone posted this same problem before, but that was in January and they did not post a resalution.

Thanks for looking, let me know if you can help

Reply to
dmcleod

I'd guess the switch on the handbrake would be faulty... but if you manually turn on your lights you should be able to bipass this switch, at least in an A4 Golf.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Nope no fogs no healights high or low. The only way to make the lights come on is to hold the lever on the steering. The problem use to only happen ocasionaly, but now its stuck off.

Reply to
dmcleod

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hmmm no power going to the headlight circuits. Did you try wiggling around the ign key to see if possibly it was the ign. switch. It is a possibility since weird electrical stuff was happening to my 91 Passat. Radio and lights were not coming on but the engine would still run. 8^o Maybe one of the relays or fuses? Basically you will need to check for power loss somewhere. :-(

good luck and let us know what you find! later, dave later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Problem solved! Turned out to be ignition switch. Thanks for the helps and tips.

Reply to
dmcleod

The wireing is kinda weird, i missed mine up when i rewired my 85 gti for a car alarm with ignition kill. (no wireing diagrams availble so i cut wires to see what they did). I had similar problem finding the wire to tap into for the parking lights. The dome light was kinda weird too i tap'd into the door switch but if you don't get that screw and the switch in just right won't set the ground and no workie....then again this is all useless information :)

Reply to
<hatch